BBQ, make way for VBQ: smoky, succulent, and completely plant–based barbecued fare. Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer have transformed the art of grilling into a veggie lover’s feast—complete with Grilled Bok Choy and Peppered Tofu Steak and everything in between. Here are over 80 recipes to satisfy every craving for food that’s fresh and fiery:
- BBQ classics: Eggplant Hot Dogs, Cauliflower Cutlets, Pulled Mushrooms Sandwiches
- Savory sides and sauces: Crunchy Coleslaw, Grilled Potato Salad, Cashew Sour Cream
- Global inventions: Eggplant Gyros, Tandoori Tofu Skewers, Vietnamese Pizza
Over 100 mouth–watering photos prove it: VBQ takes everything you love about BBQ and adds a kick of color, creativity, and flavor. Plus, Horn and Mayer’s illustrated guide to tools and techniques takes the guesswork out of using a chimney starter, getting the perfect char on your asparagus and tofu, and more.
You’ll be a vegan pitmaster in no time!
From the Publisher
Essential VBQ sides and condiments
From grilled potato salad, to cashew sour cream, to savory sauces this cookbook offers an array of recipes that will allow you to host the ultimate VBQ.
BBQ staples with a Vegan Twist
You don’t need meat to enjoy a warm, smoky, succulent cookout. With plenty of creative tofu-and-vegetable-based recipes, this book guides you through recreating everyone’s favorite BBQ dishes.
With accessible ingredients, and practical yet innovative recipes, VBQ – The Ultimate Cookbook will transform anyone into a vegan pitmaster in no time.
Draw everyone to your cookout with this irresitible Peppered Tofu Steak recipe!
Makes 4 / Time: 10 min + 15 min barbecue + marinate 4 hrs
1. For the marinade, mince the garlic and mix with the remaining ingredients, except the tofu, until smooth.
2. Cut the tofu into slices 2 cm thick, add them to the marinade and leave for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Oil the grill and sear the tofu steaks over direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes each side, then finish cooking them over indirect heat with the lid closed for another 3 minutes each side. Baste often with the leftover marinade.
2 garlic cloves¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil2 tablespoons soy sauce2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar1 tablespoon agave nectar2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground pink pepper 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary 14 ounces (400 g) frozen and thawed tofu
Throw your best VBQ with Nadine Horn & Jörg Mayer!
Creators of Eat This!, Germany’s most popular vegan blog, are always sharing innovative and delicious vegan recipes. With this book, they have transformed the art of grilling into a veggie lover’s feast!